Volunteers are right on the frontline of delivery. They often find themselves providing first aid, getting people to hospitals, running food and cash distributions, helping with vaccination or hygiene campaigns, and many other types of practical work.
Volunteer Essentials is an introductory course designed to give volunteers a clear overview of volunteering in the humanitarian sector.
The course includes five topics:
- Humanitarian 101: the basics
- Security and Wellbeing
- How-to guides
- Programme Management, Delivery and Leadership
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) for volunteers
The course is free and will take you approximately 2-3 hours to complete.
At the end of the course, volunteers will:
- Understand what the humanitarian sector is, how it works, who are the main stakeholders involved and the role of volunteers in the sector
- Know the basic tips for personal security in humanitarian settings, and recognise the importance of security in programme design
- Have the basic skills for carrying out a distribution, community engagement, carrying out a needs assessment, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and non-food items (NFIs)
- Understand programme management, people management and financial management
- Understand Disaster Risk Reduction and Management, the role of volunteers in it and the concept of community resilience